UPDATE 7:35 a.m. EST, 1/4:
Mariah Carey told Entertainment Weekly on Tuesday she was "mortified" by the New Year's Eve debacle. She had previously shrugged off the incident on Twitter.
"I’m of the opinion that Dick Clark would not have let an artist go through that and he would have been as mortified as I was in real time," Carey said, referring to the show's production company, Dick Clark Productions. She said in the future, she would be skeptical of any producers that were not her own.
Remember how bad Mariah Carey's New Year's performance was?
In case you went to bed early, Carey headlined "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve with Ryan Seacrest." But the earpiece she was wearing reportedly malfunctioned so she couldn't keep in sync with her biggest hits. Eventually she walked off the stage, saying, "It just don't get any better."
Her reps say that disaster was the producers' fault, not Carey's, The Huffington Post reports.
WATCH | In case you forgot, here's how that performance went.
A shame that production set her up to fail.
Carey's rehearsal at 3 p.m. had "no sound issues," Billboard reports. Her PR rep Nicole Perna said they were told the earpiece was not working but would be fine by the time Carey took the stage. Her manager even accused the show of keeping Carey on camera for ratings.
But a producer told Billboard Carey had time to rehearse but chose not to, using a body double for rehearsal.
Carey seemed to shrug off the incident on Twitter.
In a statement released Sunday, Dick Clark Productions called the idea that it sabotaged Carey "defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd."