ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
AP_061103011161.jpg

Dozens of Russians were fatally poisoned after drinking bath lotion containing methanol

0

Dozens of people died of alcohol poisoning in the Russian city of Irkutsk after consuming a bath lotion.

By about 7:00 a.m. Eastern time on Monday, the BBC reports 41 people have died. Several people suspected of being involved in selling the lotion have been arrested, and 15 people are still in the hospital. 

As Russia's economy struggles, many are turning to cheap but dangerous ways to get their alcohol fix. Drinking lotion is not unusual, but the high death toll is.

It's an outrage, and we need to put an end to this.
Dmitry Medvedev, Russian prime minister

The bath lotion contained methanol, a toxin found in antifreeze, the BBC reports.  The lotion had was labelled as not being fit for human consumption.


The alcohol is metabolized in the body to form formaldehyde and other poisons that can result in blindness, coma, and death. The drinkers were between 35 and 50, and were not drinking together. 

Medicine and perfumes account for a fifth of all alcohol drunk in Russia, the BBC reports.

Here's a look at the lotion.

Super Mario Run is a big hit on iOS but Nintendo's stock value took a tumble. Here's why.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

WATCH  | For more news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.

Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark