UPDATE: 9:39 p.m.
Chief Michael Harrison with the New Orleans Police Department said in a news conference Sunday that authorities are still searching for two men involved in a shootout in the city's French Quarter around 1:30 a.m.
Harrison added that the two men are believed to be from outside of New Orleans.
"We believe they ran into each other in the street, and an argument ensued at that time, that stemmed from an argument that they had already from another place," Harrison said.
Police initially arrested two men at the scene on gun charges. One of those individuals was later identified as a victim in the incident and the second was in possession of an illegal handgun but was not involved in the shootout, according to police.
Harrison said he doesn't believe that any of the victims were the intended targets.
So far, five victims have been released and four remain hospitalized, according to CNN.
One man is dead and nine others were injured after a shooting in New Orleans' French Quarter, city police said.
Police responded around 1:30 a.m. Sunday to reports of a shooting at the intersection of Bourbon and Iberville streets. The victims ranged from 20 to 37 years old; a male victim died at the hospital. The shooting took place during the Bayou Classic football game between Southern University and Grambling State University. City police superintendent Michael Harrison said it wasn't clear what the shooter's motive was. Two men were arrested on gun charges.
Here's the New Orleans Police Department's first alert.
Here's Harrison on the shooting.
First time visitor to New Orleans from Greece alarmed by mass shooting. "It's really unfortunate that this happens all the time in the U.S."— Jim Mustian (@JimMustian) November 27, 2016
The shooting didn't sit well with a first-time visitor.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.