ISIS has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing of a Shiite mosque in Afghanistan's capital city Monday, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors the group's social media posts.
The United Nations said that 32 people were killed and more than 70 were injured in the second large-scale attack targeting Shiites in Kabul in just more than a month.
The death toll is likely to rise, Kabul police chief, Abdul Rahman Rahimi, told Al Jazeera.
ISIS claimed responsibility in a statement published by its media group, Amaq news agency.
Basir Mujahid, a spokesman for the local police force, told CNN the explosion happened when a suicide bomber detonated a vest with explosives inside the mosque.
The bombing happened as worshippers had gathered to mark the end of the ceremony of Arbaeen. According to CNN, the ceremony comes 40 days after the festival of Ashura, which commemorated the martyrdom of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson, Imam Hussein.
This appalling attack on worshipers is an atrocity.
“Religious and ethnic tolerance are values the Afghan people hold strong, and I urge the Afghan authorities to do everything possible to defend Afghans of all faiths," said Pernille Kardel, the UN Secretary-General’s deputy special representative for Afghanistan said in a statement.
The U.S. embassy in Kabul also condemned the attack, calling it a "senseless and cowardly act."
Monday's incident is just the latest in a series of attack.
Last week a suicide attack killed four people and wounded 11 near the Defense Ministry in Kabul, according to CNN.
WATCH | For more news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.