ADVERTISEMENT
About Our People Legal Stuff
AP_070704043531.jpg

A ghost pepper burned a 1-inch hole in a California man's esophagus

0

A California man who ate a burger topped with a "ghost pepper puree" as part of an eating contest ended up with a hole in his esophagus, according to UPI.com.

When the 47-year-old showed up at a hospital emergency room he had severe abdominal and chest pain and was vomiting, according to the Journal of Emergency Medicine

The man said after six large glasses of water didn't help, he decided to seek medical help. 

CT scans and chest x-rays revealed air around the esophagus, "suggestive of a spontaneous esophageal perforation," according to Dr. Ann Arens, who is with the department of emergency medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. 

"The patient was intubated and taken immediately to the operating room, where he was noted to have a 2.5-centimeter (1-inch) tear" in his esophagus. 


Doctors noted that fluid and food debris was found around the tear. 

The man spent 213 days on a feeding tube and stayed in the hospital for 23 days, doctors said. 

Arens' team said this is believed to be the first case of its kind.  Arens added that while a spontaneous rupture of the esophagus is rare, it can be very dangerous. 

"The case serves as an important reminder of a potentially life-threatening surgical emergency initially interpreted as discomfort after a large spicy meal," Arens said. 


Ghost peppers, also known as "bhut jolokia," are the world's hottest peppers and have a Scoville rating of more than a million. 

Ghost peppers are twice as strong as habanero peppers. 

Circa60_10_18

WATCH | For more news you need, watch our 60 Second Circa.


Comments
Read Comments
Comments
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark