Colombia's president on Thursday announced ceasefire extension with FARC rebels until Dec 31.
Colombia: Give peace a chance
Nobel Peace Prize winner President Juan Manuel Santos announced Thursday that he is extending a ceasefire with Colombia's largest rebel movement in a bid to give more time to efforts to save a peace deal rejected by voters.
Santos said in a televised address that he was extending by two months the ceasefire with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, until Dec. 31.
"Let it be clear: this isn't an ultimatum or deadline," Santos said.
Earlier this month, Santos and FARC leaders agreed to ceasefire until the end of October.
When will the ceasefire end?Santos, winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize, is engaged in three-way talks with the FARC and Colombia's political opposition to find ways to adjust the accord so that it enjoys broader support.
He said the lives of soldiers and guerrillas depended on warfare not resuming.
"Time is conspiring against peace and life."
However, some of the rebels who have fought to negotiate with the government are worried the accord would mean throwing out years of work.