About Our People Legal Stuff Careers
A grizzly bear roams near Beaver Lake in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, Wednesday July 6, 2011. A grizzly bear killed a man who was hiking with his wife in Yellowstone National Park's backcountry after the couple apparently surprised the female bear and its cubs on Wednesday, park officials said. It was the park's first fatal grizzly mauling since 1986, but the third in the Yellowstone region in just over a year. (AP Photo/Jim Urquhart)

A guy in Montana posted on Facebook about a bear attack before getting treatment



A guy in Montana got mauled by a grizzly bear twice. But don't worry, he was ok enough to post photos and a video to Facebook before getting medical treatment, according to CBS News.

Todd Orr, 50, of Bozeman, Montana, warned residents and visitors to carry bear spray and "be safe out there," in his Facebook post. 

Orr set out on a hike at Beaverhead-Deer Lodge National Forest early Saturday morning and was about 3 miles in when he spotted a Grizzly bear with her cubs. 

On Facebook, Orr said the bear charged at him from about 80 feet away, prompting him to fire bear spray at the animal's face.

"I went to my face in the dirt and wrapped my arms around the back of my neck for protection. She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack," Orr wrote on Facebook. 

The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again.
Todd Orr

Orr was badly injured, but was able to get up and begin the approximately three-mile trek to his truck. Ten minutes later, Orr dove to the ground after spotting the bear again.  

"One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back," Orr wrote. "I knew I couldn't move or make a sound again so I huddled motionless. Another couple bites to my head and a gash opened above my ear, nearly scalping me." 

Orr has been carrying a pistol, but it was torn off during the attack. 

After the bear stopped its attack, it stood on top of him and it eventually left. 

Orr made it back to his truck and drove 17 miles to Madison Valley Medical Center in Ennis, Montana. 

X-rays showed that a bone fragment chipped off of his arm and Orr needed "eight hours of stitching" to put him back together. 

"Not my best day, but I'm alive," Orr wrote. "So thankful I'm here to share with all of you."

For more news, check out today's 60 Second Circa.


Read Comments
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark