About Our People Legal Stuff Careers
The signature pink mustache of ride-booking company Lyft sits on the hood of a vehicle during a news conference in Albuquerque, N.M., on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016. Legislation signed earlier this year cleared up regulatory uncertainty and allowed for Lyft and other ride-booking services, like Uber, to resume operations in the state. (AP Photo/Susan Montoya Bryan)

Lyft president bets big on robots and says its cars will be mostly self-driven in 5 years


Lyft's president is betting big on robots. 

John Zimmer <b>told IDG News Service</b> in an interview published Monday that he expected self-driving Lyfts to outnumber human-driven ones within five years. And by 2025, "owning a car will go the way of the DVD."

If that's the case, his company is in a good position, since it's working with General Motors to get a self-driving car program off the ground. GM also invested $500 million in Lyft.

The average vehicle is used only 4% of the time and parked the other 96%.
John Zimmer, President of Lyft

Zimmer also wrote <b>on Medium</b> that as city-dwellers increasingly moved away from car ownership, cities would allow for more housing and wider sidewalks -- and more robot-driven cars. 

He thinks autonomous cars (like robot-driven Lyfts) will solve the spatial problems excess cars create. 

This isn't entirely unique

This  isn't an entirely new idea. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, has wrote about the possibility of car owners letting cars earn money for them by shuttling passengers around while the owner works. 

And Uber has a head start on Lyft, since its <b>self-driving cabs hit Pittsburgh streets</b> last week.

You can see one of those self-driving Ubers in action here.

America is running a failing transportation business.
John Zimmer

Zimmer also argued that in the short term, as car ownership declines, Lyft jobs would grow --since more people would rely on being shuttled around. 

Would you give up your car to go all-in on Uber or Lyft?

The 'Holy Grail' of stuffed kittens is the newest addition to this Morbid Anatomy exhibit

WATCH  | For the news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.

Read Comments
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark