Lyft's president is betting big on robots.
John Zimmer told IDG News Service in an interview published Monday that he expected self-driving Lyfts to outnumber human-driven ones within five years. And by 2025, "owning a car will go the way of the DVD."
If that's the case, his company is in a good position, since it's working with General Motors to get a self-driving car program off the ground. GM also invested $500 million in Lyft.
The average vehicle is used only 4% of the time and parked the other 96%.
Zimmer also wrote on Medium that as city-dwellers increasingly moved away from car ownership, cities would allow for more housing and wider sidewalks -- and more robot-driven cars.
He thinks autonomous cars (like robot-driven Lyfts) will solve the spatial problems excess cars create.
This isn't entirely unique
This isn't an entirely new idea. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, has wrote about the possibility of car owners letting cars earn money for them by shuttling passengers around while the owner works.
And Uber has a head start on Lyft, since its self-driving cabs hit Pittsburgh streets last week.
You can see one of those self-driving Ubers in action here.
America is running a failing transportation business.
Zimmer also argued that in the short term, as car ownership declines, Lyft jobs would grow -- since more people would rely on being shuttled around.
For the news you need, check out our 60 Second Circa.