About Our People Legal Stuff Careers
FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2003 file photo, John Hinckley Jr. arrives at U.S. District Court in Washington. The man who shot President Ronald Reagan is scheduled to leave a Washington mental hospital for good on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016, more than 35 years after the shooting. A federal judge ruled in late July that the 61-year-old Hinckley is not a danger to himself or the public and can live full-time at his mother's home in Williamsburg, Virginia. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

The man who shot Ronald Reagan is getting released today



Thirty-five years after he shot Ronald Reagan in the chest, John Hinckley Jr. is a free man.

Hinckley was released on Saturday from a Washington mental hospital following a federal judge's July ruling that the 61-year-old was not a danger to himself or the public . Hinckley will be living with his elderly mother in in Williamsburg, Va., and will have to volunteer at least three days a week, according to <b>the L.A. Times</b>

The 1981 shooting

Hinckley  famously tried to assassinate Reagan in 1981, a little more than two months into his presidency.  

As Reagan left a speaking engagement at the Washington Hilton Hotel, Hinckley ambushed him with a gun, shooting him in the chest under his left underarm.

Reagan obviously survived his injuries, but was seriously injured -- he  suffered a punctured lung and heavy internal bleeding.

Jodie Foster arrives at the LA Premiere of "Sully" at The Directors Guild of America Theater on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Rich Fury/Invision/AP)

His motivation was his obsession with the actress Jodie Foster -- he thought that if he killed Reagan, it would impress her.  

He thought that killing the president would make him famous -- and therefore he'd be on the same social level as Foster.

Hinckley no longer mentally disturbed 

Now, however, doctors say that Hinckley is no longer suffering from the mental disturbances that led him to attempt a presidential assassination. In August, District Judge Paul L. Friedman said Hinckley has had "no signs of psychotic symptoms, delusional thinking, or any violent tendencies" for decades. 

Hinckley will, however, continue to go to therapy while he lives in Williamsburg. He will have to see a psychiatrist twice a month attend weekly group therapy sessions for at least the first six months after his release.

Hinckley's new digs

Now that he's being released from the mental hospital he had been confined to, Hinckley will have some pretty nice digs.

According to the L.A. Times, Hinckley's mother lives in a gated community, and his room "has a king-size bed and TV and is decorated with paintings he has done of houses and cats."

Read Comments
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Linked In List Menu Enlarge Gallery Info Menu Close Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Grid Grid Play Align Left Search Youtube Mail Mail Angle Down Bookmark