Terminix may end up dishing out $87 million to a Delaware family sickened by a pesticide at a resort in the U.S. Virgin Islands last year, according to NBC News.
Steve Esmond, his wife Teresa Devine and their two teenage sons suffered from pesticide poisoning after staying at a resort villa on St. John.
According to CNN, a Terminix employee sprayed methyl bromide in an empty, neighboring villa and because the gas is odorless, the Esmond family unknowingly inhaled it for hours.
The Environmental Protection Agency banned the residential use of the chemical in 1984 because it can lead to nervous system and respiratory damage.
Before the Esmond family entered into negotiations in their case last year, the family's attorney, James Maron, told CNN the two teens were struggling to eat, walk and sit on their own.
Maron also said the boys and their father suffered from tremors after the incident.
There is no word on their latest conditions.
In March, the company and its local subsidiary pleaded guilty to violating the federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act. Terminix was ordered to pay $10 million in fines and restitution.
More from Circa: